Opened in 1720 in Piazza San Marco in Venice, Caffe' Florian is Italy's oldest Cafe'. While seated in one of the cafe''s frescoed rooms or outside listening to the orchestra in the Piazza, one can enjoy impeccable service and products of the finest quality.
The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is the most important museum in Italy for European and American art of the first half of the 20th century. It is located in Peggy Guggenheim's former home, Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, on the Grand Canal in Venice. The museum was inaugurated in 1980 and presents Peggy Guggenheim's personal collection of 20th century art, masterpieces from the Gianni Mattioli Collection, the Nasher Sculpture Garden, as well as temporary exhibitions.
San Giorgio Maggiore Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore
San Giorgio Maggiore is a basilica in Venice, Italy designed by Andrea Palladio and located on the island of San Giorgio Maggiore. Facing Saint Mark Basin, the church plays a central role in the panorama from the Piazzetta. The first St George's church dates back to the 8-9th century. In 982 the whole island was donated to a Benedictine monk, who founded the adjacent monastery.
The present church was begun in 1566, and was not entirely finished before the death of Palladio in 1580. The façade was continued by Vincenzo Scamozzi based on the original architect's designs and completed in 1610. The church, sometimes designated as a basilica, is a prime example of Palladio's architectural style, and one of the finest churches he designed. The bell tower, first built in 1467, fell in 1774; the reconstruction was completed in 1791. The Benedictine monks still officiate in the church.
St Mark's Basilica (Italian: Basilica di San Marco a Venezia), the cathedral of Venice, is the most famous of the city's churches and one of the best known examples of Byzantine architecture. It lies on St Mark's Square (in the San Marco sestiere or district) adjacent and connected to the Doge's Palace. Originally it was the 'chapel' of the Venetian rulers, and not the city's cathedral. Since 1807 it has been the seat of the Patriarch of Venice, archbishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Venice. For its opulent design, gilded Byzantine mosaics, and its status as a symbol of Venetian wealth and power, from the 11th century on the building was known by the nickname Chiesa d'Oro (Church of gold).
The Venetian Arsenal (Italian: Arsenale di Venezia) is a shipyard and naval depot that played a leading role in Venetian empire-building. It was one of the most important areas of Venice, lying in the Castello sestiere.
The Byzantine-style establishment may have existed as early as the 8th century, though the present structure is usually said to have been begun in 1104, although there is no evidence for such a precise date. It definitely existed by the early thirteenth century and is mentioned in Dante's Inferno. The name probably comes from Arabic Dar al Sinaa ("Dockyard") and the concept was clearly Islamic as much as Byzantine.
Significant parts of the Arsenal were destroyed under Napoleonic rule, and later rebuilt to enable the Arsenal's present use as a naval base. It is also used as a research centre, an exhibition venue during the Venice Biennale and is home to a historic boat preservation centre.
The city stretches across 118 small islands in the marshy Venetian Lagoon along the Adriatic Sea in northeast Italy. The saltwater lagoon stretches along the shoreline between the mouths of the Po (south) and the Piave (north) Rivers.
The Venetian Republic was a major maritime power during the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and a staging area for the Crusades and the Battle of Lepanto, as well as a very important center of commerce (especially silk, grain and spice trade) and art in the 13th century up to the end of the 17th century.