One of the most ancient churches in Milan, it was built by St. Ambrose in 379-386, in an area where numerous martyrs of the Roman persecutions had been buried. The first name of the church was in fact Basilica Martyrum.
In the following centuries the edifice underwent several restorations and partial reconstructions, assuming the current appearance in 1099, when it was rebuilt in Romanesque architecture. The basilica plan of the original edifice was maintained, with an apse and two aisles, all with apses, and a portico with elegant arches supported by semicolumns and pilasters preceding the entrance. The latter was used to house the disciples (catecumeni) coming to Mass to receive baptism (this habit disappeared in the early 11th century).
The collection includes more than 130 masterpieces from the eighteenth century, collected with passion contractor milanese Alighiero de 'Micheli. Paintings (Canaletto and Tiepolo), splendid French furniture, ceramics Lombard, Chinese porcelains and rare miniature of Jean Baptiste Isabey, left legacies to the FAI, help to create a set of great harmony. The collection, in a layout designed by architect Filippo Perego that reflects the taste of the original is kept within Casa Necchi Campiglio, the extraordinary house designed by architect Piero Portaluppi in 1932 and recently donated to the FAI.
In the refectory of the domenican convent adjoining the church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, houses one of the world's most celebrated works: Leonardo da Vinci's "Last Supper".
Painted between 1494 and 1498 under the rule of Ludovico il Moro, Leonardo abandoning the traditional method of fresco painting, depicted the scene "a secco" on the wall of the refectory.
Milan Cathedral is the cathedral church of Milan in Lombardy, northern Italy.
The cathedral is significant in the promulgation of the Christian faith, for its role in the establishment of Catholic traditions of worship, its outstanding musical heritage and the splendour of its Gothic architecture.
Built from the late 14th well into the 19th century (and in a sense, never completed as work continues), the Duomo di Milano is one of the world's largest churches, being second in size within Italy only to Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome, and being the second largest Gothic cathedral in the world, after the Cathedral of Seville in Spain.
The Bagatti Valsecchi Museum is a not-for-profit historic house museum in the Montenapoleone district of downtown Milan, northern Italy. The Italian Renaissance art and decorative arts collections of the barons Bagatti Valsecchi are displayed in their home, as they wished them to be. Hence, visitors may view not only particular pieces of art, but also the house's authentic ambiances, expressive of late 19th century aristocratic Milanese taste.
The Museo Poldi Pezzoli is an art museum in Milan, Italy. The museum was originated in the 19th century as private collection of Gian Giacomo Poldi Pezzoli and his mother, Rosa Trivulzio, of the family of the condottiero Gian Giacomo Trivulzio, and has a particularly broad collection of Northern Italian and (for Italy) Netherlandish/Flemish artists.
Sforza Castle is a castle in Milan, Italy that now houses an art gallery. The original construction on the site began in the 14th century. In 1450, Francesco Sforza began reconstruction of the castle, and it was further modified by later generations. It currently houses an art collection which includes Michelangelo's last sculpture, the Rondanini Piet?, Andrea Mantegna's Trivulzio Madonna and Leonardo da Vinci's Codex Trivulzianus manuscript.
The Duke of Milan Francesco I Sforza ordered to build a Dominican convent and a church in the place where a small chapel dedicated to St. Mary of the Graces was.
The main architect was Guiniforte Solari, the convent was completed by 1469 while the church took more time. The new duke Ludovico Sforza decided to have the church as the Sforza family burial place and rebuild the cloister and the apse which were completed after 1490.
Villa Necchi Campiglio is a historical "house museu" which is part of the circuit of "Case Museo a Milano".
Located in Via Mozart 14, is considered an unique model for beauty and preservation of private villa in rationalist style of the thirties. It was built between 1932 and 1935 as independent house designed by the architect Piero Portaluppi and was surrounded by a large garden with tennis court and swimming pool.