The Basilica di Santa Croce (Basilica of the Holy Cross) is the principal Franciscan church in Florence, Italy, and a minor basilica of the Roman Catholic Church. It is situated on the Piazza di Santa Croce, about 800 metres south east of the Duomo. The site, when first chosen, was in marshland outside the city walls. It is the burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians, such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Foscolo, Gentile, Rossini, and Marconi, thus it is known also as the Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie).
Rising behind the Pitti Palace are the beautiful Boboli Gardens. They were originally designed for the Medici and are one of the earliest examples of the Italian Garden which later inspired those of many European courts. The gardens extend over a vast area forming an open-air museum with antique and Renaissance statues, grottoes and large fountains. Exploring its numerous and varied walks one is able to evoke the spirit of life at court and to enjoy the experience of a garden which continues to renew its natural cycle in keeping with the tradition of its past.
Florence is the capital city of the Italian region of Tuscany and of the province of Florence.
The city lies on the River Arno and is known for its history and its importance in the Middle Ages and in the Renaissance, especially for its art and architecture. A centre of medieval European trade and finance, the city is often considered the birthplace of the Italian Renaissance; in fact, it has been called the Athens of the Middle Ages. It was long under the de facto rule of the Medici family. From 1865 to 1870 the city was also the capital of the Kingdom of Italy.
The historic centre of Florence continues to attract millions of tourists each year and was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1982.
The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore is the cathedral church (Duomo) of Florence, Italy. The basilica is notable for its dome designed by Filippo Brunelleschi its exterior facing of polychrome marble panels in various shades of green and pink bordered by white.
Visiting the museum of the Casa Buonarroti arouses, first of all, the emotion of admiration for several early works by Michelangelo contained within its walls. These very famous works by Michelangelo of extreme artistic importance include the "Madonna of the Stairs" and the "Battle of the Centaurs". But for those who pass through the main entrance of the lovely seventeenth century building located at Via Ghibellina 70, Florence, it is even more interesting to relate the Michelangelo masterpieces housed there with the long story of the Buonarroti family. The family did all it could to enlarge the dwelling and make it more attractive, while preserving a precious cultural heredity and assembling a precious art collection at the same time.
The Gallery is particularly famous for its sculptures by Michelangelo: the Prisoners, the St.Matthew and, especially, the statue of David which was transferred here, to the specially designed tribune, from Piazza della Signoria in 1873.
In the adjacent rooms, which were part of two former convents, important works of art were collected here in the 19th century from the Academy of Design, the Academy of Fine Arts and from suppressed convents.
Giotto's bell tower (campanile) stands on the Cathedral square (Piazza del Duomo) in Florence, Italy.
This bell tower is one of the showpieces of the Florentine gothic style. Standing isolated next to the Cathedral Santa Maria del Fiore and in front of the Baptistery of St. John, this splendid construction attracts the eye and the admiration of every art lover by its design, rich sculptural decorations and the many-coloured marble encrustations.
This slender structure stands on a square plan with a side of 14.45 meters (47.41 ft). It attains a height of 84.7 meters (277.9 ft) sustained by four polygonal buttresses at the corners. These four vertical lines are crossed by four horizontal lines, dividing the tower in five levels.
Loggia della Signoria or Loggia dei Lanzi Piazza della Signoria
The Loggia dei Lanzi, also called the Loggia della Signoria, is a building on a corner of the Piazza della Signoria in Florence, Italy, adjoining the Uffizi Gallery. It consists of wide arches open to the street, three bays wide and one bay deep. The arches rest on clustered pilasters with Corinthian capitals. The wide arches appealed so much to the Florentines, that Michelangelo even proposed that they should be continued all around the Piazza della Signoria
The Horne Foundation Museum, which comprises a splendid art collection and the building where this collection is housed, is the result of a bequest to the Italian government in Herbert Percy Horne's last will and testament.
The MNAF, Alinari National Museum of Photography, is located in the fifteenth-century building known as 'delle Leopoldine', renovated thanks to the fundamental contribution of the Ente Cassa di Risparmio di Firenze. The building has been allocated by the City of Florence, the owner of the complex, as exhibition space for its twentieth-century collections, and space has also been granted to the Fratelli Alinari Fondazione per la Storia della Fotografia. Duly restored and equipped in line with the most up-to-date exhibition requirements, this is where the Alinari National Museum of Photography now has its premises.
The house-Museum dedicated to Frederick Stibbert (1838-1906), an English citizen born in Florence who himself remodelled the house in the form of a neo-Gothic castle, offers the visitor a view of the extraordinary collections put together by its owner over the course of an intense life made of journeys and research dedicated to his interest in the exotic and the applied arts, in a variety that ranges from armour to porcelain to furniture and from European menís and womenís clothing to Islamic civil and military costume and costumes of the Far East.
The Palazzo Vecchio (Italian for Old Palace) is the town hall of Florence, Italy. This massive, Romanesque, crenellated fortress-palace is among the most impressive town halls of Tuscany. Overlooking the Piazza della Signoria with its copy of Michelangelo's David statue as well the gallery of statues in the adjacent Loggia dei Lanzi, it is one of the most significant public places in Italy.
Originally called the Palazzo della Signoria, after the Signoria of Florence, the ruling body of the Republic of Florence, it was also given several other names: Palazzo del Popolo, Palazzo dei Priori, and Palazzo Ducale, in accordance with the varying use of the palace during its long history. The building acquired its current name when the Medici duke's residence was moved across the Arno to the Palazzo Pitti.
Piazza della Signoria is an L-shaped square in front of the Palazzo Vecchio in Florence, Italy. It was named after the Palazzo della Signoria, also called Palazzo Vecchio.
It is the focal point of the origin and of the history of the Florentine Republic and still maintains its reputation as the political hub of the city. It is the meeting place of Florentines as well as the numerous tourists.
The impressive 14th century Palazzo Vecchio is still preeminent with its crenellated tower. The square is also shared with the Loggia della Signoria, the Uffizi Gallery, the Palace of the Tribunale della Mercanzia (1359) (now the Bureau of Agriculture), and the Uguccioni Palace (16th Century, with a facade probably by Raphael). Located in front of the Palazzo Vecchio is the Palace of the Assicurazioni Generali (1871, built in Renaissance style).
The Silver Museum is housed in magnificently frescoed rooms formerly the summer apartments of the grand dukes.
The first room, on the ground floor, has a frescoed vault by Angelo Michele Colonna depicting Jupiter descending from Olympus to consign the emblems of power to the Medicis. The wall decorations are by Agostino Mitelli.
The next room, frescoed with the Stories and Triumphs of Alexander, is also the work of Colonna and Mitelli, as is the adjoining Throne Room with its allegorical figures of Power, Justice and Time.
Sinagoga and Museum of Jewish Art and History Via L.C. Farini 6
In the museum you can see Jewish ceremonial objects and some old codices, as well as follow the story of Florence's Jews down through the centuries. There are also various photos and models that transmit something of the appearance of the old centre of town, which was destroyed to make way for Piazza della Repubblica - it was in this area that Florence's ghetto had long been located.